Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"Grey Matter"

haircare.net
There are some moments in life you will always remember. The day you got your first pay check. The day he proposed. Your first kiss. And the day you spotted your first grey hair.


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, my dear, dear friends, that day will come. And usually when you least expect it…if it hasn’t already. Unfortunately, along with the all the other trends and changes happening with our fast-paced lifestyles, this has been a startling new trend as well. People are going grey younger and younger. I can vouch for it. My grey moment happened at the tender age of 17. Yes, I was getting ready for a Friday night class dance, and there it was…Ten years later, and I am still asking the higher powers to give me the grace to accept the things I cannot change, and change the things I can.

And that’s what I come to you with today. Fact: once you go grey, you don’t go back. So here are some ways to handle the change!

Nature cures: I have heard sworn testimonies from many a raven haired uncle who tell me about the miraculous cures of amla. Apparently, if you use the oil of amla in a gentle massage of your scalp regularly, you will not just prevent further greying, but you could actually stop the process entirely. Now although I haven’t seen evidence of this myself, I would say this: it doesn’t hurt to try! And the power of faith is amazing.

Bottled Bliss – If you are one of those people who don’t have the patience to take the natural (but longer) route to help, then you can always get some help from your neighborhood salon. Most places also have the option of using ammonia-free colors which do minimal damage to your hair, while giving you a month of happy grey-covered hair. Of course this is really something you should consider only if you have a fair amount of the grey stuff showing. If its just a couple of stray strands, just ask your hairdresser to snip them away!

Stress less – More and more studies are showing that consistently high levels of stress are no good for our minds or our bodies. One of the not-so-nice side effects of this is going grey early. So take a yoga and meditation class, and keep those greys away longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment