Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"The Secret"

oralchelation.com
The two biggest excuses, ahem, I mean reasons, people use to justify the fact that they are not regularly doing some kind of exercise are as follows:


“Dude, I have soo much work. I chase clients all day, go up the wall meeting deadline, and have to my deal with my permanently pissed-off boss. Come home at ten at night, just DON’T HAVE THE TIME to work out!”

“Hello??? I wake up at the crack of dawn to commute to my godforsaken office which happens to be conveniently located at the ends of the earth. By the time I fight traffic from hell to get home, its close to mid-night and I AM WAY TOO TIRED to move an inch!”

Ladies and gentlemen, I am here to inform you of a little known truth. But believe you me, its HUGE.

Fact: The best way to deal with fatigue is to exercise.



Just a little movement goes a long way. And there are actually ways to work out proven to give you that little pick-me-up you need and restore energy levels to the body.

This concept is based on the theory that there are 2 kinds of energy. Type A which is what you could call “tense energy” – something a lot of us, particularly those who work is high-pressure, demanding, time-consuming jobs, tend to have. This is the energy gained when people work out with a high-intensity (think an hour running on the treadmill, 45 mins of kick-boxing) and although it does rid the body of stress, it also tends to leave you more agitated and tired than anything. On, the other hand there is another like of energy, called “calm energy”. This is the stuff which leaves you with longer lasting energy that actually allows you to get through the rest of your crazy day.

And how do you unleash this zen energy?? With the right kind of exercise, specifically, activities which lower in physical intensity, but work on a high levels of physical and mental energy. Here are the magic words: Yoga, Pilates, Tai-chi, Dance classes (salsa, bollywood, ballroom), short durations of (10-15 mins) of power walking. Even if you don’t have the time to leave work, just get that butt out of your chair and walk around your office for 10 minutes! To get that extra boost, grab some fruit (an apply or banana would be perfect!) before you begin. And remember, dehydration is a major cause for fatigue so drink, drink, and drink some more water pre, mid, and post exercise to reduce fatigue and supply oxygen to blood and muscles.

2 comments:

  1. I agree absolutely. I spend two hours a day commuting and a minimum of eight hours in front of a computer at work, and until recently my excuse was always "I never have the time/I'm too tired". But I made a promise and a commitment to myself a few months ago, and now, every day without fail I manage to find half an hour to an hour after work for my yoga/cardio exercise. Even if I come home stressed out to the max, I don't allow myself to skip a session. And guaranteed, without fail, I feel better at the other end of that hour. It's really that easy. We give hours of our day to our bosses, our colleagues and our public transport - we can certainly find an hour for ourselves in that day.

    ReplyDelete